Presentation delivered by Inspector Daniel Russell of Sussex Police.
The delegates were shown are film called ‘Scam – the secret crime”: https://youtu.be/0ZDpw_IDSps
Daniel shared some statistics on scam related crimes:
- Over half the adult population have been subject to a fraud
- Over 9 billion pounds is lost in the UK every year to personal fraud and scams
- Technology is enabling fraudsters to carry out attacks quicker and employ more complex behaviours to remain undetected
Analysis shows that 60% are 75+ years of age, and 67% of scams happen over the phone.
Call blocking technology can help to fight scams:
- 170 trueCall Call blockers have been installed in the homes of the most vulnerable
- 71,000 nuisance calls blocked
- Receiving nominations from partner agencies
- 3 years monitoring reports to share Intelligence with NFIB
Daniel closed by showing a 3 minute film “Fraud and Scams – Know the warning signs” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLP9XOfFaCk
The full presentation is available in the Downloads section below.